(source: Chitra Amma's Kitchen)
Vanilla Custard Powder - 1 cup
Sugar - 3 cups
Water - 4 1/2 cups
Juice of 1 lime = 4 tbsps
Ghee - 2 tbsps
Cashews (or any nuts)
Cardamom Powder - a pinch (optional)
1. In 1 tbsp ghee, add the broken cashews. Toast till they are slightly brown and keep aside
2. To the same pan, add the water & sugar
3. Once sugar dissolves, add custard powder & mix well
4. Squeeze the lemon, add cardamom powder and mix well
This is how it looks at the beginning -
5. As you keep stirring, it become lighter and lighter..
6. Stir until the mixture is translucent. See the pic below -
7. Add the nuts and mix well
8. Transfer to a greased plate/pan/tin.
9. Let it cool for about half hour, cut the pieces & enjoy!