Ads 468x60px

Wednesday 2 November 2011

Pav Bhaji | Mixed Veg Curry with Burger Buns

Hi folks!
Yet another Blog Hop Wednesday... And I found myself hopping over to Nirmala's Kitchen. And to my delight, what did I find? PAV BHAJI! (paa-oh bhaa-jee) Since the time I sprouted teeth, I remember eating Pav Bhaji every time we went to a restaurant - every-single-time without fail! Pav Bhaji is one of my most favorite dishes ever. Just thinking about it makes me drool! :-D And who makes the best Pav Bhaji (besides Sadguru Hotel in Mumbai)?? My Momma! :-D Yes, I love the hotel Pav Bhaji. But they make you feel heavy right away! My mom's Pav Bhaji is light & I can keep gobbling more & more! :-D So, following the basics of Nirmala's recipe, I finally learnt my Amma's magic! :-)
A little about Pav Bhaji -
Its pretty much a mixed vegetable curry eaten with Pav. Pav is similar to your Burger Buns (although not quite) You can eat the curry with any form of bread, tortillas, rice etc. I eat the curry in bucket-loads! :-) Of course, if you don't have the cpcity to bear the spice, you're dead! :-D But nothing that can't be adjusted with a little sugar & little less of the red-chili powder & other spices.
B&W doesn't give the effect, does it? :-|
Now- there are different ways of making the curry. But I settled for my mother's method because it seems like the easiest one. She used the Pressure Cooker method.
Ingredients -
For the Curry:
Potato - 2 medium sides cut into small cubes
Bell Pepper / Capsicum - 1 chopped finely
Carrot - 1, cut into small pieces
Cauliflower - 1/2 cup
Tomato - 3-4, chopped
Onion - 2 medium sliced finely
Peas - 1/2 cup, boiled (i skipped coz I didn't have)
Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
Ginger - 1 teaspoon grated
Green chilies - 2, chopped 
Red Chili Powder - 1 teaspoon (more or less)
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Pav Bhaji Masala / Garam Masala - 1 tablespoon
Salt  - to taste; 1-2 teaspoons
Sugar - 1/4th of a teaspoon
Oil - 2 tablespoons
For Garnish:
Butter - 1 teaspoon
Pav Bhaji Masala / Garam Masala - 1 tablespoon
Coriander / Cilantro leaves - to decorate


Method
1. Wash the cauliflower well & boil it in salt water. Flowers tend to have worms in between so it is important to do this - apparently. Drain excess water
2. Keep the other veggies ready.
3. Heat 2 TB of oil in a pressure cooker & add the onions
3. Then add green chilis & ginger, garlic. Sauté for 1 minute
4. Add the turmeric powder & saute
5. Next, add salt
6. Then, add potatoes & Sauté well
7. Add carrots & capsicum & mix well.
8. Add a pinch of sugar (to balance the flavors)
9. Add red chili powder 
10. Garam Masala / Pav Bhaji Masala & mix
11. Add the boiled cauliflowers & mix well.
12. Let the veggies cook for about 2 minutes. Then add the tomatoes & mix
13. Finally add enough water to cover the entire vegetables-mix
That's it. Now let it cook in the pressure cooker (until about 5-6 whistles) (takes about 15-20 minutes)
14. Switch off the flame. Once you can open the cooker, take a large spoon or a vegetable-masher & mash the entire mix.
(I over-mashed it. Don't mash it to the int that it looks like pulp)
15. Then add the boiled peas & mix. (I skipped)
16. This is what my mum does for extra flavor. > Heat butter & add 1 TB of Pav Bhaji / Garam Masala  mix well
17. Add this to the mashed veggies & mix well again.
18. Garnish with some Coriander leaves & onion slices.

Serve with toasted Pav / Bread / Buns / Tortillas / Rice etc.
Best eat with Pav.
~~~~~~Slurp~~~~~~
One of the famous Mumbai Street foods. If prepared at home with care, it can be a very healthy lunch option too. 
Linking it to Radhika's BHW & also linking this one to the Healthy Lunch Challenge hosted by Edible Entertainment (started by Smita) & Pari's Only Curries

21 comments:

  1. drooling here.....great pictorial too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my all time favourate ur recipe is gr8

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice touch at the end.. Great tip

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely pav bhaji..im drooling!!and i'm the 100th followr :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow...wonderful recipe...really tempting and the color of the masala super n loved it...very nice stepwise pictures...
    btw i posted your sweet corn dumplings as balls n tikkis ..check out my space :)once again thanx kavi for the recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super tempting curry, can have it with anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely step by step pics and instructions. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm just drooling here.. It's so hard for me to get them here.. Just yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  9. am a great fan of Pav Bhaji too.. btw, ur Sadhguru hotel stuff on the psot got me thinking - are you from Mumbai too??


    Kalyani
    Join me in GFF - a 100-day Global Food Festival here
    New event all this November: Flavours of China

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my most fav street foods!! Pav Bhaji looks definitely something I want to try soon! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My older one loves this and ever ready to have it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pao Bhaji looks really very tasty. I liked the way you have prepared. Tempting clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic Pav Bhaji Masala Dear.Luks mouhwatering.Luv it

    ReplyDelete
  14. drooling through pics....
    my fav...
    perfectly done....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Many memories related to hotel sadguru.. yumm yum.. pavbhaji lovers group loves you...
    Love Ash.

    ReplyDelete
  16. looks delicious n real tempting gravy!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. step wise pics again! clap clap~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jeez feel like having one now. No chance for that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...