Good Evening everybody! ☺
For all those who 'hardly-find-time-to-breathe', this can be your healthy breakfast option instead of a takeaway or ready made noodles. All it takes is a 10 minute planning & you're all set! You can make Poha in very many ways. Feel free to substitute/eliminate some of the ingredients! Poha is a very nutritious & filling breakfast.
I hope you all have heard of Flattened Rice (also known as Beaten Rice, or Pohaa). It is easily available in all markets in India. But if you can't find it, you can order it off from Amazon! ☺
Flattened Rice/Poha - 2 cups (250 grams)
Onion - 1 medium (finely sliced)
Asafoetida / Hing - a pinch
Green Chilies - 2-4 chopped
Boiled Potato - 1 medium sized (mashed)
Peanuts - handful (optional)
Curry Leaves - 7-10
Mustard Seeds / Rai - 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds / Jeera - 1 teaspoon (optional)
Turmeric powder / Haldi - 1/2 teaspoon
Cooking Oil - 1 teaspoon
Salt - 1-2 teaspoons (as per your taste)
Coriander leaves - 1-2 strands
Grated Coconut - 2 tablespoons (optional)
Lemon Juice - 1-2 tablespoon
1. Wash the flattened rice/poha till clean. Drain the water. Sprinkle some clean water & keep it aside for 10- 15 minutes.
3. Completely drain all the water from the Poha/Rice Flakes. Separate them with your fingers to break lumps, if any. Squeeze a lemon into it.
5. Add the salt, Asafoetida & turmeric powder. Mix it once. Then add the onions & cook until the onions turn translucent. Add the mashed potato & mix.
6. Finally, add the beaten rice/ Poha. Be careful not to mash or break the beaten rice. Carefully, mix the Poha very well. Let it cook for about 1 minute. Add the broken peanuts & lemon juice. Keep mixing at frequent intervals. (around 2 minutes)
7. Finally, garnish it with some coriander leaves & grated coconut if you want.