Ads 468x60px

Wednesday 11 January 2012

Spicy Puffed Rice


=====================================================
If you go through Tamalpaku's Recipe List, you'll be awestruck seeing so many different varieties! You'll find more than 400 recipes (I myself went through almost 250!) You never have to look in another place for a recipe coz I believe Harini covers almost every category!
[Recipe source: Tamalpaku]
Ingredients
Puffed Rice/ Murmure - 3 cups
Peanuts - handful (2-3 tablespoons)
Mustard Seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Turmeric powder / Haldi - 1.4 teaspoon
Salt-  as per taste (1-2 teaspoons)
Red Chilli Powder / Paprika - 1 teaspoon 
Garlic - 3 cloves (CRUSHED slightly)
Oil - 1 teaspoon
To serve -
Onions - 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Tomato - 1 medium, chopped finely
Lemon Juice - 1-2 teaspoons
Coriander leaves - for garnish
Sev / Boondi - as required (optional
Makhana/ Foxnut - a handful (optional)
Method -
1) Add the Puffed Rice to a microwave safe bowl & MW it on high for around 45 seconds-1minutes. It becomes nice & crisp. (Alternatively, dry roast in a Kadai/wok for 2 minutes)

2) Heat the oil in a wok. Add mustard seeds and crushed garlic & sauté for a minute

3) Add turmeric powder & red chilli powder & asafoetida. Mix well

4) Add peanuts, salt & mix

5) Finally, add foxnut (optional) and Puffed Rice
 
6)  Mix well & roast for about 2 minutes till everything is crisp

You can eat the puffed rice as it is. It tastes marvelous. The addition of garlic lights up the whole dish!
OR 
To serve -
- take required amount in a bowl and  mix onions, tomato & few drops of lemon juice

- garnish with chopped coriander leaves and sev/boondi if you want

Verdict: A very quick snack to make. It tastes really good. And the addition of garlic gives it an extra zest! :-)

42 comments:

  1. wow so good.. love thie version with the lotus seeds ohh good..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woww.. looks spicy and delicious.. awesome shots too !!
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome dish..I would surely love to give it a try..Thank you so much for posting it..

    Aarthi
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy, colourful andhealthy!!!!Will soon try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey vaalu padikkama samayala? Looks great sweetie and thanks for linking to the event

    ReplyDelete
  6. thx gal for linking the healthy snack to my event and hey nalla padi; I know almost everyone will be telling u this and ur frayed nerves must be crumbling :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. kavi a simple and a fav snack of mine as well......keep the hard work you put on ur blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks great! such a simple snack to store and munch when the cravings set!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thats lovely recipe...superb dear

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely chat.... A perfect evening time snack.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice work. I really like the way you present

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice work. I really like the way you present

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow wat a super tempting puffed rice,makes me drool..

    ReplyDelete
  15. this seems pretty easy. good work

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahhh Bliss gal. I envy you gobbling up all the spicy snack. craving for it rite now.
    Event : Lets’ Cook - Rice

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks delicious and would be perfect with a cup of coffee...

    ReplyDelete
  18. yumm, quintessential bhadang (for maharashtrians) loved the idea of adding makhana

    ReplyDelete
  19. Delicious and healthy snack,drooling here.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice one...Perfect with the evening tea..

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the color of your dish. It is really pleasing to the eye and I'm sure it is delicious. This is my first visit to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. You've created a great spot for your readers to visit and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I'll definitely be back.I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  22. My mother-in-law also prepared the same snack.This snack crispy and yummy taste.I would like to eat tea time and rainy season.

    Ongoing Events:
    Foodies Nest
    Milk Shake~Event

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey thanks for reminding to drool all over again on one of our fav snack :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Now I am craving for puffed rice :) .. yummy and thx for linking to the event. All the best for your exams.

    Vardhini
    Event: New "U" - Healthy Eats
    Event: Healing Foods - Cauliflower

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's making me hungry right now!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks delicious and inviting

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    giftwithlove.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Super tempting snack, perfect with a cup of masala chai :)
    u hav an award waiting at my space, pls come n grab it..
    http://cook-ezee.blogspot.com/2012/01/lemon-rice-and-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. The chat looks delicious, right off the menu at Vrindhavans. Love it. I have an award for you at my place. Do collect it dear.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for the lovely entry.. Looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
  31. yum! like a south-indian bhel puri without the chutneys, this is such a good recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. yum! like a south-indian bhel puri without the chutneys, this is such a good recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wowww looks so yummy I love to eat puffed rice n this recipe is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am announcing Valentines special - my 1st blog event and Giveaway, Please do be a part of it and send in your recipes..!

    ReplyDelete
  35. That looks delicious. What a great, flavorful dish!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love chats and this looks lip-smacking. Bookmarked! And oh, I live in Doha Qatar :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great snack full of flavours.

    ----------------------------
    Regards
    Spoon and Chopsticks
    http://spoon-and-chopsticks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...