Ads 468x60px

Thursday 26 January 2012

Egg Substitutes

What can I use to substitute for eggs in a recipe? - is a question I've been haunted by, many a time. Being a lacto-vegetarian, we don't use eggs. And it is a problem when I serach for recipes like mousse, ice cream etc. There are numerous recipes that don't call for eggs, but curiosity keeps me on my toes to experiment substitutes for eggs in a recipe. Although a recipe can be Veganized by using suitable substitutes, there's really no sure way to tell which will work the best for a recipe. To know that, you must understand the purpose behind adding eggs (binding, keeping it moist, leavening etc) And so, depending upon what you're making, you need different substitutes.

I've compiled a list of whole egg substitutes here. (Not yolk or white) You need to decide which will be your best bet, while substituting for in a recipe. If you know what the eggs are added in a recipe for, half your job is done. :) Don't worry, it isn't as complicated as it sounds. I have (at least I hope I have) made it as simple as possible. This is an inclusive (& not exhaustive) list. So, if I have missed out anything/you have any other substitutes, do let me know. I shall include it here.
(Print friendly version - I've included the purpose of using eggs & the result of using the substitute)
EGG
Replace with
Amount
1 egg

Pureed Fruit
1/4 cup +  increase Baking Soda / Powder each by 25-50%
(1 average banana = 1 egg)
1 egg

Pureed Fruit
3 tablespoons
Also increase 1 – 2 tablespoons more liquid in the recipe (milk or water etc)
1 egg
TOFU
(SILKEN TOFU)
1/4 cup of pureed tofu
(around 50 grams)
1 egg
Tofu, cornstarch
3 tablespoon pureed Tofu + 2 teaspoon Cornstarch
1 egg
Flaxseed Powder
1 teaspoon flaxseed pwd + 1/4 cup (50ml) water
OR
1 tablespoon  whole flaxseeds – blend to make a powder; add 50 ml water & blend for 2 minutes to have a thick egg-like consistency of mixture
1 egg
Vinegar + Baking Soda
1 teaspoon baking soda + 1 tablespoon vinegar
(white vinegar or apple cider vinegar)
1 egg
Vinegar + Baking Powder
1 tablespoon white Vinegar + 1 tbsp water + 1 teaspoon baking powder. Mix well
1 egg
Buttermilk
1/2 cup (100ml) per egg
NOTE: Reduce amount of liquid suitably.
OR:
Substitite the liquid required in the recipe wholly by the buttermilk
1 egg
Yogurt
Beat the yogurt and use the thinned yogurt (100 ml) instead of 1 egg
1 egg
Oil + Baking Powder
1 tablespoon oil + 2 teaspoons baking powder + 2 tablespoons water
1 egg
Mashed Potatoes
1/4 cup or 50-60 grams mashed potatoes
1 egg
Pumpkin or Squash puree
`1/4 cup or 50-60 grams
1 egg
Gelatin or Agar Agar
Combine 1 teaspoon unflavored agar agar powder with 3 tablespoon cold water and 2 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon boiling water.









































There are commercial egg substitutes like Ener-G too. But I've never tried them. And I also don't care much for the store bought kind; so, I'm not including them in my list. But if you've used them or you feel they make your job much simpler, you can use them too. :)

Watch out for part 2 & more... I'll be talking about specific substitutes for just the egg yolk or egg whites an so on...

24 comments:

  1. Wow, kitna mehnat kia hai be tune! :O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very useful post!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...really an informative post....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very info post!! thanks Kavi :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. very useful post, bookmarked

    Aarthi
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...that's an nice post...i have frequent guests at home who don't eat eggs and i always find it difficult to bake something for this....thank u for the post...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats a really informative post..Thanks a lot!
    hough I eat Eggs, I have also wondered several times wat could I substitute it with in a recipe which requires eggs...

    ReplyDelete
  8. thats super informative, u have done ur homework!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow. wonderful post.thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Kavi..
    I have changed the publish date for m my recipe for kids event. I hope this will work..

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a useful information, thanks Kavi for sharing with us., following U dear..

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's just wonderful Kavi! So much hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's going to be very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice post Kavi. I'm bookmarking this, so that I can refer when I have some pure vegetarian guests :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kavi, def an informative post. But you know what I loved that picture the most. 'Jimmy, answer me please' ha ha ha..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your blog is very Spicy. Recipes all around. Your blog is very colorful. I just joined your blog. Nice keep up the good work:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...