Ads 468x60px

Monday 5 December 2011

Malai Kofta | Veg Balls dipped in rich gravy (Microwave version)

Koftas are basically deep fried mixed vegetable balls that are dipped in a rich gravy just before serving. There are different types of Kofta Curries one can make. Of all the koftas, Malai Kofta is what we hear often. And it is one of my most favorite side-dishes ever!


I decided to try it out in the Microwave. While I knew I wouldn't deep fry the Koftas anymore, (thanks to my sudden health-freakness(?)) I couldn't fathom how one could make such an elaborate recipe in a Microwave (again, I only assumed. It turned out to be way more simple) But once I lay down a paper on the kitchen counter(I always do. I'm messy!) & kept all the ingredients ready, it was child's play! :-D
I got a basic idea of what ingredients to use from Mom. And the rest was trial and error. What can be made in 20 minutes took me 40, but I learned quite a few functions of the Microwave that I never knew existed! :-)
RECIPE
(Print this Recipe) 
Ingredients
Amount
Details
1) FOR THE KOFTAS
Potatoes
1/2 cup (200 grams)
Boiled & Mashed
Cottage Cheese / Tofu
100 grams
I skipped
Other mixed veggies like cauliflower, carrot, peas
¼ cup
boiled
1 tablespoon
Chopped
Green Chilis
1
Finely chopped
Cornflour
1/2 teaspoon
Heaped
Salt
1 teaspoon
Or to taste                   
2) FOR THE GRAVY PASTE
Poppy Seeds (Khus-Khus)
1/2 tablespoon
-
Cashew Nuts
3-4
Roughly broken
Green Chilies
1-2
Roughly chopped
Water
1 tablespoon
-
Garlic-ginger
  2 cloves & a pinch
-
3) FOR THE CURRY
Gravy Paste
As ground above
-
Fresh Cream
100 ml (5-6 tbsp)
I used Amul
Garam Masala
1 teaspoon
-
Red Chili Powder
1 teaspoon
As required
Turmeric Powder / Haldi
A pinch
-
Oil
1 teaspoon
More or less if u want
Salt
1 teaspoon
As per taste
Sugar
A pinch
To cut the spice
4) For Garnish
Coriander / Cilantro
1-2 tbsp
Chopped
Method
Pic
1. MAKE THE KOFTAS
Cut the vegetables to be used & put in a MW safe bowl. Add enough water & MW for 10 minutes. Your boiled veggies are ready.
In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients
Combine to form a soft dough
Divide into equal portions & make neat balls
Keep on a Microwave safe bowl.
Brush the Koftas with oil if you want. I skipped.

Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Keep aside. They will not turn brown as they do when you fry them. But they will have a lightly crisp exterior & soft interior
-
2. MAKE THE GRAVY PASTE
In a blender, add poppy seeds, green chili, cashew nuts, garlic a pinch of salt & blend

Add onions, a bit of red chili powder & blend again

Keep aside
          
    
Add tomatoes to the same blender

Blend to form a smooth pureé

                                                                                      -
3. MAKE THE CURRY
In a MW safe bowl, mix onion-gravy paste and 2 teaspoons of oil

Microwave on HIGH for 6 minutes. Stir once in between. (MW closing the lid)

Mix well
Add tomato pureé

Mix well

Microwave again for 6 minutes stirring once or twice in between

Add chili powder, garam masala, turmeric powder, salt to taste & a pinch of sugar & mix

Microwave it on high for a minute

Finally, add the fresh cream

Mix well

Microwave on medium for 2 minutes

4. TO PROCEED
You have your gravy & veg balls ready
Just before serving, add Koftas to the curry

Microwave on high for 1 minute

Garnish with Coriander leaves & serve immediately!


 


Phew! Quite a long one, ain't it? But if you keep everything ready (which should take you about 10 minutes) you can make this mouthwatering HEALTHY curry within 15 minutes!
I'm super happy with my new-found Microwave powers! ;-P

15 comments:

  1. bloody brilliant man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so sweet! Your comment on my blog made me smile this morning :)

    What a beautiful dish...and I love the detailed instructions and photos! Enjoy what's left of your Monday~

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks simple.. I suppose I could make it next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ten minutes? I love the curry - but then you end it with "ten minutes" and that's the hook that got me - something healthy during the season of indulgence and simple when prepped. That's as good as it gets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. first time in your space...i just loved the microwave version of making koftas...would love to giv it a try sometimes...happy to follow u here...do visit mine when time permits :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely droolworthy recipe.you have a nice blog.you can visit my blog and give ur valuable comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice post. Now you can use this b2b sites in india directory to promote edible oils import & export business.

    ReplyDelete
  8. very tempting recipe and easy to follow instructions..great job

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome job on the malai koftas and thanks so much for stopping by on my blog . Appreciate it and hope to be in regular touch now:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi first time here. The kofta looks great and microwave cooking can retain great flavors.


    FOODELICIOUS

    EVENT FOR DECEMBER & GIVEAWAY, ‘ONLY’- COOKIES & CAKES

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woww.. looks so delicious and creamy.. first time here.. you have a wonderful space with lovely recipe.. Happy to follow your blog.. thanks for sharing dear :)
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  12. simplifying Indian food! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...