Ads 468x60px

Wednesday 28 December 2011

Vegetable Croquette (Kebab)

 
Continuing my quest for quick and low-fat snacks, I present to you these vegetable croquettes. Croquette is just a fancy name for our Desi kebab. When I had to hop to Neetu's picturesque blog for this week's BHW, I decided to make these. And since Croquette sounds cool, I decided to call it just that. :-D I altered the recipe to accommodate the ingredients I had. You can do so too. 

 RECIPE adapted from Hobby Chef
(Print this recipe)
Ingredients
Potatoes - 2 medium
Boiled Peas - 1 cup
Onion - 1 medium, chopped finely
Carrot - 1 medium, grated
Bread Crumbs - of 2 bread slices
Cornflour - 1 tablespoon
Salt -  to taste, 2 teaspoons
Red Chilli Powder - 1 teaspoon
Chaat Masala - 1 teaspoon
Pepper powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Garlic - 1 large clove, minced
Oil - for shallow fry

Method
1) Parboil the vegetables. (example: Pressure cook until 3 or 4 whistles OR until potatoes & peas are soft)
I did not boil the onions & added them raw and used only potato & peas.
 2) Drain the excess water & mash them roughly.
3) Add chili powder, chaat masala, pepper powder, salt, cornflour, turmeric powder, garlic, semolina & mix well.
4) Add bread crumbs & mix
5) Take a portion of the mixture and shape it into whatever form you want (cylindrical or circular)
6) Heat 1 tablespoon oil on a pan & add the kebab.
7) Cook on medium flame on both sides for 3-4 minutes each
8) Remove on an absorbent paper & serve with tomato ketchup

Note:
- Alternatively, you could deep fry or even grill it.
- Experiment with the filling - use any vegetables of your choice (ones that don't leave too much water)
- You could add cottage cheese or tofu
Verdict - I had it with tamarind-dates chutney & it was very tasty. Next time, I'm gonna try grilling in the oven for 8 minutes @ 180C. And also, I'll skip the potatoes next time. If using items like peas, onions which tend to leave water, you have to work quickly or the mixture becomes soggy & difficult to shape the croquettes. I chilled the mixture for about 10 minutes & shaped them & voila! Easy-peasy! :-D

18 comments:

  1. yummy snack,first time here,following you dear.Please do drop at my space.
    nalini

    ReplyDelete
  2. fabulous recipe... delicious snack...

    ReplyDelete
  3. very colourful and delicious snack...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to try it. Thanks for the recipe dear:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vegetable kabab looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum yum,super tempting snacks,feel like having some.,thanks for sending to CWS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the pictures! they are so colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thiѕ piece оf ωritіng offers clear iԁeа for the nеw users of blоgging,
    thаt truly how tо do blogging аnd ѕite-building.


    Also viѕit my page; sports massage oils
    Also see my web page > relaxation

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...