Ads 468x60px

Sunday 7 August 2011

Zebra Cake (variation of the marble cake)

Hello people of the world,


Sorry I couldn't post any recipes this weekend as I was vacationing in Chennai, India with my Uncle & Aunt and their kids who have come down from USA. I did show off my culinary skills whilst I was there. :-P Made some Sandwiches, Dosa et al. And needless to say, all of them were just awestruck that the *little girl* Kavi they once knew is actually responsible & COOKING. Little do they know that I have this great blog to look forward to. ;-) Hush... its still a secret...


All right, moving on to our cake. Remember my cousin from Qatar? (Bah! Why would you? ☺) The one I made THIS CAKE for? Well, he came back again. And this time, he wanted a simple cake. And now that I knew an easier way of making cake in a cooker, I thought, why not? He was there for just about 2 hours. And so, I didn't want to venture into 'unknown territory'. I've made Marble cake quite a few times. I made a quick decision that it would indeed be marble cake. But just the white & brown. You'll see that the batter making process is the same as the Marble Cake.


Ingredients
Plain Flour/ Maida - 2 cups (200 grams)
Powdered Sugar - 2 cups (200 grams) (you can add more later according to your taste)
Butter or Oil - 100 grams (I used butter)
Baking Soda - 1 teaspoon
Baking Powder - 1 teaspoon
Milk or Water - 200 ml (I used milk)
Vanilla Essence - 1 teaspoon
Cocoa powder - 1 tablespoon



Method
1. In a vessel, mix the milk (or water), butter, vanilla essence.
2. In another vessel, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda. (Sifting ensures that the flour is a smooth mixture. But you can avoid this step & plainly mix the ingredients too)
3. To the milk-butter mixture, slowly add 4-5 spoons of the flour mixture & beat well (either manually or with an electronic beater) Keep adding until the flour mixture is finished.
** If the flour is too thick, you can confidently add 2-3 tablespoon of milk. & if it is too thin, add more flour & sugar
4. Separate the mixture into 2 bowls. In 1 bowl, add the cocoa powder. And in the other bowl, add vanilla essence. Beat all the mixtures separately.
5. Grease a cake tin & line it with parchment paper.


UP UNTIL NOW, the process is the same as this cake. But to make this cake, I poured the batter in a slightly different manner..


6. First, pour a spoon full of cocoa mixture in the center of the cake tin.
7. Next, take a spoon full of vanilla mixture and pour it right on top of the cocoa mixture. 
8. Again, pour cocoa mixture on top of the vanilla mixture.
9. In this way, you keep going on until both the mixtures are finished. The cake tin should look like this -
can be much neater :)
10. Put it in the rice cooker & let it cook for 40-45 minutes at low flame. OR Preheat the oven at 200 degree C & bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.

Verdict: Eh, well, I enjoy cake baked in the oven rather than the cooker. Nevertheless, it tasted good & looked even better! I forgot to click a photo when it came out so well. So, here's a photo of the last slice of the cake - ;-)
Guilty of photoshopping a bit to enhance the colour! ☺ But look at the layers! Isn't this so beautiful! Try it out soon folks!

14 comments:

  1. Baap re! Kya mast dikhtai, boss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice and really eye winning recipe dear....

    Do visit my space and surely hope you'll like it..

    My blogs:
    http://preethisculinary.blogspot.com
    http://yenkaivannam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got to try this today. But its eggless :-(

    Want to try this with eggs.

    Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Amar - I'm a pure vegetarian :) I'm sure you'll find many recipes on Google which have eggs in them

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay Kavi
    Thanks. But will make this on Sunday as my wife is making Dudhi Halwa as she's now very fond to cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Amar - Let me know how it turns out! :) And if you have a blog, do drop in your link. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sure, will let you know. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kavi,

    Here's a link of my blog

    http://amarcook.blogspot.com/

    Just created and am new to blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Will be making Zebra Cake tomorrow. Egg-less of course.
    Any idea about the fondant cake decorating. Haven't seen these in your blog? Fondant Ingredients do seems to be available here???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,

    Check out my brownies I made today.

    Nigella’s Everyday Brownies (Chocolate Brownies with Milk Chocolate Pieces)

    http://amarcook.blogspot.com/2012/01/nigellas-everyday-brownies-chocolate.html

    Thx.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kavi,
    Yesterday I made Nigella’s Everyday Brownies (Chocolate Brownies with Milk Chocolate Pieces)
    Check my blog :
    http://amarcook.blogspot.com/2012/01/nigellas-everyday-brownies-chocolate.html

    Next Sunday, will be your Zebra Cake

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kavi,
    Yesterday I made Nigella’s Everyday Brownies (Chocolate Brownies with Milk Chocolate Pieces)
    Check my blog :
    http://amarcook.blogspot.com/2012/01/nigellas-everyday-brownies-chocolate.html

    Next Sunday, will be your Zebra Cake

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kavi,

    I've made Zebra Cake today

    Do check my blog :

    http://amarcook.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...